Y.E.C Janus 'Ludstone'

Last Updated 9th Jan 2018

The group were approached by the Foxfield railway during the later half of 2016 to see if we could help with the restoration of Ludstone, a Y.E.C Janus Locomotive.

The group made its first visit to inspect the locomotive in September 2016.

After this it was agreed that the group would help with the restoration.

The outside has had some cosmetic restoration already done but as you can see the loco was not in the best of conditions on the inside so first thing to do was a thorough assessment and inspection.

During this first visit the injector pump was removed from No. 1 engine, as learning from our past experiences with these types of pump they tend to seize open when left stood for long periods of time. The engine was then checked over and then bared round to ensure it performs a full revolution.

On our next visit, confident that the engine was ok, we brought with us the fuel pump from 1382's engine so we could test ludstones.

Below are a couple of videos from this testing.

After the success of this test we started the same procedure on the second engine. Unfortunately this engine did not bar over freely and jammed. Therefore we proceeded to remove the cylinder heads to investigate the problem. Without removing the bonnets space is limited in the engine bay.

Here you see one of our members squeezing in to remove the rockers and head bolts.

While some of the team worked on the engine the rest were focusing on replacing a broken spring. This was an essential job as it would lower the risk of any derailments during testing and while being moved around the yard.

Once this was completed the next major job was the brakes. As because we had a working engine, traction tests could not be performed till they were working.

First of all the brake rigging was setup as best as it could be with the worn blocks. One of which was worn all the way through the flange.

The handbrake mechanism was also seized so over two working days this was removed so it could be worked on by the FoxField Members.

Before and After

The Next job was to assess the condition of the control circuits to ensure they operate safely and correctly. Unfortunately during its working life additional circuits have been added such as a low oil pressure shutdown. This presented a bit of a challenge as we did not, at the time, have the wiring diagrams for these. After an hour or so with the trusty multimeter and some small 12v batteries we had the circuit worked out and found a few faults.

These faults were isolated and the controls come to life.

So with this testing completed the engine was started up to see if it would build any air pressure. Relief when the gauge started to rise. A second loco was attached so that we could test the braking performance and we were please at the results.

Now the brakes had been tested it was time to see if the traction motors would take power. So as we opened the throttle handles the control circuits clicked in and engine rpm increased. Unfortunately the loco could only manage about half a mph on full throttle. But we were not concerned as the owners of 1382 had experienced this exact same issue themselves and found it was due to the generator not being 'excited' by the dynamo and all that was required was to flash the field windings of the dynamo to bring it back to life.

On our next visit we brought the small 12v batteries again and flashed over the dynamo. There was only one was to test if this had fixed the problem and this was to try for power again. Here is a video of the results!

With Ludstone now taking power a decision is still to be made on how to proceed with engine No. 2. But before any work happens on that the locomotive will be made serviceable on one engine and the dead one isolated ready for the 2018 Diesel Gala.